CameraMods: Focal length and vignetting on Fuji Instax Wide 300 lens hack

Right now the camera is somewhat set up like a bellows camera.


That piece of wood is a cutting board. It acts as the front frame of a bellows camera. The block of wood fits over the original barrel (albeit a shortened one). It was still too thick setting the lens too far forward.

So I had to do this.


The cutaway was to make it thinner. However, only after spending two hour sawing and planing and chisel, and still more to do, did I realize I should have just cut a thinner  block. Next time.

Now set further back I took the rig out for a spin. Possibly there are light leaks. And definitely, the vignetting remains.



--

UPDATE: May 3/4

The lens was set too close to the film plane. I moved the lens forward by less than a 1/4 inch.
I took these:





I also load two sheets of Instax Wide into a 4x5 holder. I was able to focus on a ground glass and was happy to see the potential of the lens and film pairing:


So there's potential. Yesterday, I added a spacer to firm that distance up. I believe I have infinity focus now.



I'll shoot some more tomorrow and this time carry a light meter. And see if I can get proper shots off.

I know the camera is kind of rough looking, but I've learned a lot about how the camera operates and I think the next build will be far better. Until then, this one is pretty fun to shoot.

Comments

Popular Posts