CameraMods: Sighting a working Lego camera that shoots Instax Mini with a Diana F+ instant back, version 2



Cleaned up the look of the camera from version 1b. Plus, I think I've chased down all the light leaks. We'll find out soon enough.







One of the big improvements is I put a sight on it. It's not a viewfinder as it does not let me know the framing. It does let me know if I am pointing the camera properly.

It works with two front sights. The lower sight is zeroed at 4.5 feet. The upper sight is zeroed at 12 feet.

I have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't establish range or that even if I see an object through the sight, it does NOT mean that object is at either of those ranges.

What it does allow me to do is point the camera properly at the centre of what I wish to photograph at two particular ranges, ie 4.5 and 12 feet.

I did this by turning a used Instax Mini pack into a ground glass. You can do that as per this post.

I determined the centre of the image and then figured out when the sights and the centre of image align. Once set, measure the range and note it on the set of front sights.



Okay, more sweet, sweet mod shots.


Nice and neat on the outside....

Better yet, nice and neat on the inside. I really wanted to get rid of the vignetting and light leaks with this iteration.

And that's pretty tidy.


A good view of the rear and front sights.


The next job is to add a sports finder. Have fun shooting and have a great day.

----------------------

Just took four exposures. Looks pretty good.



Vignetting only occurs on the left side. It's unavoidable as a single row of Lego encroaches into the image area.

The colours are good though. And the depth of field is just what you would want from a project and lens like this (1/10 sec at F/5.6).

The overly warm cast can be blamed on the white balance on the digi AND the lazy photographer/blogger.


My boy, Jack, took the last one. He wasn't quite set for a 1/10 sec exposure.

Comments

Popular Posts